Re: (Fwd) Re: 8.8.8: Useless error message about "getrequests"

Guest section DW (dwguest@win.tue.nl)
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 10:08:07 +0100 (MET)

From: "Kari E. Hurtta" <Kari.Hurtta@ozone.fmi.fi>
Subject: Re: 8.8.8: Useless error message about "getrequests"
To: ulrich.windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de (Ulrich Windl)
Date sent: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 09:31:46 +0200 (EET)
Copies to: sendmail-bugs@sendmail.org
Send reply to: sendmail-bugs@sendmail.org (sendmail-bugs)

Ulrich Windl:
> Hello I found an error message that is rather useless in 8.8.8: The
> information about which host or IP address is involved is missing.
>
> Oct 29 08:07:28 kgate sendmail[14080]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): getrequests: accep
> t: No route to host

About the accept system call:

#ERRORS
# The accept will fail if:
#
# [EBADF] The descriptor is invalid.
# ...
# [ENFILE] The system file table is full.

(And manual page on linuxes does not list other codes. Obviously
Linux documenttation is erronous.)

/ Kari Hurtta

Hmm. Must be some old manual page. These days it says:

ERRORS
The BSD man page documents five possible error returns.

EBADF The descriptor is invalid.

ENOTSOCK
The descriptor references a file, not a socket.

EOPNOTSUPP
The referenced socket is not of type SOCK_STREAM.

EFAULT The addr parameter is not in a writable part of the user address
space.

EWOULDBLOCK
The socket is marked non-blocking and no connections are present to
be accepted.

Various Linux kernels can return various other errors such as EMFILE,
EINVAL, ENOSR, ENOBUFS, EAGAIN, EPERM, ECONNABORTED, ESOCKTNOSUPPORT,
EPROTONOSUPPORT, ETIMEDOUT, ERESTARTSYS.

Because of this sendmail comment I get one or two letters a week
from people telling me that "Linux documenttation is erronous".
Now the above is certainly completely correct,
and I have not attempted to be more precise since the details
depend on the kernel version, but I wouldnt mind at all
if someone who knows the networking stuff contributed some more details.

Andries - aeb@cwi.nl

P.S. Note that the actual API is exported by (g)libc, not by the kernel.