Re: [RFC] /proc/fs/nfsd/exports

Mr. James W. Laferriere (babydr@baby-dragons.com)
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 18:53:08 -0800 (PST)

Hello Lins & All

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, Matti Aarnio wrote:
> > The problem there is that IPv4 addresses, and masks are 32 bits
> > long network-byte-order values, and our tradition has been printing
> > them out thru %08X as if they are mere integers. (And letting
> > user-space applications to 1: scan in the hex value, 2: turn it
> > from network-byte-order value to presentation value of dotted-
> > decimal form.)
> >
> > Those values are NOT integers originally, they are octet arrays.
>
> What?
>
> The values are IPv4 addresses. There is _one_ standard way of printing
> them, and that standard way is as four decimal numbers. EVERYBODY prints
> them that way. It's the only sane way to show them.
>
> There is no question in my mind - printing out IPv4 addresses as hex
> "integers" is wrong. It has always been wrong, and it's wrong now. It
> happens to be very simple, which is the excuse for doing it, but it's
> still wrong.
Ok how does the kernel read them ? As Binary I assume
& are represented as Hexidecimal units , then converted
for human consumption to Decimal . I am though a 'text'
/proc fan .
(opinion)
I hate the need to create user level facilities
be able to read (some) of the files containing
information about -my- system .
(/opinion)

Tia, JimL