Re: PCI Modem Support

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
29 Oct 1998 10:52:37 -0800

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.3.93.981028194350.1034F-100000@kjahds.kjahds.com>,
Kenneth Albanowski <kjahds@kjahds.com> wrote:
>On 24 Oct 1998, david parsons wrote:

>> Foo on that. If the people who sell Winmodems want to get their
>> hot little fingers into the Linux market, they can write their own
>> device drivers (UDI, anyone?) and fix the bugs themself.

>My expecation is that the folks selling Winmodems have _zero_ interest in
>getting in to the Linux market. Since they already don't care about the
>NT, Mac, Be, SCO, QNX, or OS/2 markets (not necessarily in that order), I
>doubt they are specifically avoiding Linux.

Today, possibly, but eventually some marketing person will have a
neuron fire and realize that they're watching a nice big market
segment parade on by without even making an attempt to extract some
money from it.

>Consider the apparent fact that every one of these things is completely
>different (even between revisions), with nonstandard hardware and software
>and no published documentation. Consider also that no published
>documentation can be a direct side effect of rather poor unpublished
>documentation.

That's why I think the people who build Winmodems should write the
drivers for them.

____
david parsons \bi/ 5% market share today, 10% tomorrow. Eventually a
\/ neuron will fire.