Re: halted system still working as router.

Adam D. Bradley (artdodge@cs.bu.edu)
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 23:15:29 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Paul wrote:

> The power in my apartment went out and my ups was about to fail. I
> typed "shutdown -h now" <enter>. The machine shutdown and halted. It
> said, The system is halted, and System Halted. My ups never did die.
> The curious thing was that when the power came back on I found that my
> computer was still routing traffic to the internet. Is this normal
> behaviors for a computer that has been halted? Is this a kernel
> problem, or specific to my machine(or my kernel)?

If your shutdown scripts don't delete routes or bring the interfaces down,
this is the normal, expected behavior. A "shutdown" in most distributions
involves syncing and unmounting all filesystems and terminating all
processes, but the interrupt handlers and bottom-half scheduler (the
things that do routing) stay active.

I know some people who use this trick to "hack-proof" their home
firewalls/routers: once the routes are set up, userspace shuts down
completely, so there are no root processes to hack ;-)

If this behavior is undesirable in your environment, modify your shutdown
scripts to delete the routes and down the interfaces.

Adam

--
You crucify all honesty             \\Adam D. Bradley  artdodge@cs.bu.edu
No signs you see do you believe      \\Boston University Computer Science