Re: Is /proc ASCII or Binary?

Benjamin Herrenschmidt (bh40@calva.net)
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 00:58:43 +0100

On Tue, Oct 27, 1998, Mike A. Harris <mharris@ican.net> wrote:

>I don't know what the original design goals were behind /proc,
>but I must say that I agree. I love the information that proc
>provides, but I've tried writing some programs to parse some of
>the stuff and it is a nightmare. IMHO, it should be easy to
>*CODE* stuff firstly. Thus I would favor a binary interface to
>/proc myself. Or perhaps a new heirarchy? /binproc? I dunno,
>but there are enough pr
oblems with parsing /proc that something
>should be done.

Why not just make a set of functions or macros for making standard proc
output (I mean one function for displaying an interger, one for a
timestamp, one for an IP address, etc...) along with a couple of tools
for having standard "name<tab>value" output ? This way, proc fs just need
to use those utility functions and parsers are sure to always get the
same format.

--
           E-Mail: <mailto:bh40@calva.net>
BenH.      Web   : <http://calvaweb.calvacom.fr/bh40/>