Re: IDE tape and SMP

Mark Lord (mlord@pobox.com)
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 19:10:51 -0500

Gadi Oxman wrote:
> I'm thinking about the latest ide-tape + SMP problems; it's hard for
> me to fix, as I'm not very familiar with 2.1.x SMP. Mark/Scott/Erik and
> myself developed the drivers without access to SMP systems, and although
> I upgraded to a SMP system very recently, unfortunately I was not able
> to repeat the latest SMP problems on my system yet.
I am not going to get into this too much,
but I would guess that the ide-tape *and* ide-cd *and* ide-floppy
stuff should already be darned-near SMP-safe, since the entry
points are all (?) through the SMP firewall code in ide.c.

The intent of the fine-grained SMP support I added in ide.c
was that it would protect all of the sub-drivers, provided they
don't go out of their way to be foolish (except for ide-scsi).

Interrupt masking shouldn't really be needed or matter in the
sub-drivers.. most of it can probably just be "#if 0"'d .

Are there actually reported problems (I wouldn't know)?
Do they go away when the save_flags/cli/restore_flags is commented-out
in ide-tape.c ?

--
mlord@pobox.com