Re: Linux 2.1.125 doesn't dump core on SIGSEGV

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@noris.de)
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 14:27:10 +0100

Hi,

Andreas Schwab:
> smurf@noris.de (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
> |>
> |> That way, the shell will notice, and you can either attach to the thing
> |> with gdb, or tell it to continue (at which point it'll drop core for real).
>
> What's wrong with running the program under gdb in the first place?

I don't want to run all my programs under gdb all of the time.
I want to attach to the misbehaving program as soon as it misbehaves.

Analyzing core dumps after the fact isn't as powerful: I can't call
functions in the offending program. Trying to recreate the problem
under gdb is often difficult and sometimes impossible: gdb tends to
change the way malloc()ed memory is laid out, so that a crash because of
uninitialized memory suddenly vanishes when debugging. :-(

That'd also enable me to debug setuid processes; just attach to them from a
root shell.

--
Matthias Urlichs  |  noris network GmbH   |   smurf@noris.de  |  ICQ: 20193661
The quote was selected randomly. Really.    |      http://www.noris.de/~smurf/