Re: [OFFTOPIC] UltraSparc MMU problems

Jakub Jelinek (jj@sunsite.ms.mff.cuni.cz)
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 12:17:05 +0100 (MET)

> David S. Miller writes:
> > Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 21:32:13 +1100
> > From: Richard Gooch <rgooch@atnf.csiro.au>
> >
> > That's probably pushing it, although I wish I could. Do you really
> > think this is an OS problem???
> >
> > Solaris's TLB miss strategy is pretty hopeless...
>
> What does the OS have to do with it? Once the TLB's are set up, why
> does the OS need to intervene?

Pretty much. If the memory footprint is large and dTLB has 64 entries only,
then the OS has to fill the TLB pretty often, and Solaris does not do it in
7/9 cycles like Linux does. It is not doing it even in constant time, so
that's possibly what you see in the results.

> BTW: we have FORE systems ATM cards in these machines, so that
> probably rules out Linux anyway :-(

Unless we work on supporting it...

Cheers,
Jakub
Jakub Jelinek | jj@sunsite.mff.cuni.cz | http://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz
Administrator of SunSITE Czech Republic, MFF, Charles University