Re: TCP bug?

Ely Wilson (plexus@ionet.net)
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 03:38:10 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 26 Oct 1998, Paul LeMahieu wrote:

PL>My problem (kernel 2.0.34, standard one with RedHat 5.1):

Mine with all kernels.

PL>I've got a very active TCP connection coming out of a Linux box (sending
PL>lot's of stuff). The Ethernet address of its gateway machine changes (new gateway

I have a 56k line here, shared among 3 systems. but the bandwidth used is
incredibly low. They are basically, irc and telnet boxes.

PL>machine. The Linux box shows this change in it's arp cache. The TCP connection
PL>freezes up. A look at the network with tcpdump shows me the Linux server is

I experience a 'freeze-up' when large amounts of data is sent out. Recv
works liek a charm, teh first outgoign packet seems okay. i fteh data is
split into incredibly small chunks and then sent it works. i've played with
the mtu/mru of teh ppp0 interface with no success.

PL>This is not simply a timeout thing since the TCP connection typically never
PL>recovers.

If it woudl timeout i'd be happy, but when things lihe ftp uploads just sit
there for over 24 horus you tend to get annoyed :) I think my problem might
be stemming form a modified pppd 2.3.5, so I am looking for both a newer
version and I am recompiling a 'vanilla' pppd as I write this.

I am alos going to review my kernel config, though i've done it twice a week
for the last 3 weeks.

PL>My suspicion:

I've been reluctant to post that I'm having this problem for so long becuase
I fear it migth just be my system, but I have reinstalled several times and
the problem persists. I'll have some results this time tomorrow. at this
point I still don't know what the cause is.