Re: PCI Modem Support

Benjamin Herrenschmidt (bh40@calva.net)
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 09:42:46 +0100

On Sun, Oct 25, 1998, Kenneth Albanowski <kjahds@kjahds.com> wrote:

>Poor example. Both Windows and MacOS are highly amenable to kernel hacks.
>Now if you wanted to say a software modem was available for NeXT, this
>would be more interesting. (In fact, I believe NeXT included a software
>modem from the beginning -- but it only ran at 300 baud. Not so
>interesting after all.)

That's what I meant: with such a poor kernel as MacOS, it works fine, so
nothing impossible for something like linux...

>Yes, that's part of it, but another part is sufficient RT support to
>explain to the kernel that this process has priority, and, conversely,
>explain when a slightly lossy modem is OK. Remember, you aren't just
>getting the data here and back again, but doing a bit of math on it in the
>meantime.

Yes, of course. But here again, you can trick things by doing most work
in the interrupt handler. This is not "good" from a design point of view
and it slows down the entire operating system, but it actually works.
Having RT in the kernel is better, but doing without is possible.

--
           E-Mail: <mailto:bh40@calva.net>
BenH.      Web   : <http://calvaweb.calvacom.fr/bh40/>