Re: bdflush / update

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Sun, 25 Oct 1998 15:14:56 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, Ragnar Hojland Espinosa wrote:

> I want to get rid of bdflush/update. Since kflushd almost does the
> same as bdflush, I only need to sync perodically, right? What would
> be the right approach? To create a new task_struct for a, say,
> ksync? It certainly sounds nicer than just plugging it in bdflush..

In mm/vmscan.c there is the function swap_tick() which
gets called every clock tick.

You can just add a line:
if (!HZ % sync_interval)
wake_up(&bdflush_with_correct_args);

Where sync_interval and the bdflush args are will be
something you've already found out, so that will be
easy.

The swap_tick() hack might look dirty, but in fact
we already use it for waking up kswapd, so why not
do kflushd from the same place?

Rik.