Re: PCI Modem Support

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Sun, 25 Oct 1998 15:18:16 +0300 (MSK)

In <006601bdffe4$0b985180$04c809c0@Fake.Domain.com> Anthony Barbachan (barbacha@Hinako.AMBusiness.com) wrote:

>>> Writing a driver for WinModems can be an interesting exercise in itself.
>>
>>Especially since such thing can not be done reliable in "standard Linux".
>>Only in RT-Linux :-((
>>

AB> This doesn't make sense. Win9x is not real time and yet it supports
AB> WinModems. If Win9x supports them then Linux should be able to as well.

The key word is "as well". Yes, really, exactly "as well". I.e. it will works
under small load and will hangs horrible under heavy load. Since this is usual
behaviour of all components of Windows9x this is not a big problem for WinModems
usage on Windows9x but under Linux this WILL be problem: I'm bet that our dialup
will be highly unreliable with moving from our four USR Courier 33600 (connected
to four COM-ports with no shared IRQ's) to WinModems (this modem connected comp
with Pentium 166MMX and 64Mb RAM which is our file-server
(28 MS DOS/Windows9x/Linux workstations -- trial boot: mars_nwe, samba, CODA),
web-server, sql-server, news-server (only few newsgroups though -- something
like 1000 or so), mail-server, ftp-server, etc). So far all works just fine
but I'm doubt if WinModem (with Linux-driver, of course :-) will be able to
work in such environment.

>>> This would require (probably) some mathematics and some knowledge of how
>>> to do dsp processing.
>>
>>Plus you'll need to do a lot of reverse ingeneering :-))
>>

AB> Not if some company decides to finally give us the needed info.

Probability if fairly small but who knows ? So far though I'm never seen any
information about any WinModem internals: "you have driver, this should be
enough!"...