Re: [patch] jiffies wraparound [Re: 2.1.125 Show stopper list: Draft]

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Sat, 24 Oct 1998 13:45:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hmm, so you would like to export HZ value in every file in /proc which
> exports times? Ok, I like it that way. It will make us put there lots
> of '100's, but we'll be able to change 'HZ' value for every subsystem
> separately, which is good thing... Is this 2.2 or 2.3 issue?

No, no, no.

It's just that time should _never_ be exported in "jiffies". Time should
be exported in a standard format, like seconds.

We've already had one kernel patch (a long time ago) that didn't even
_have_ jiffies. Instead, it used the timers to dynamically get arbitrary
precision. The patch had some problems, but the basic idea is that at some
future date the kernel may not even _have_ the notion of a jiffy, just the
notion of "time".

Linus