Re: PCI Modem Support

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Sat, 24 Oct 1998 21:36:35 +0400 (MSD)

In <Pine.GSO.4.02A.9810231326030.15522-100000@red.seas.upenn.edu> Vladimir Dergachev (vladimid@red.seas.upenn.edu) wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Martin Mares wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> > I noticed at the last computer show in my local area that PCI modem are
>> > becoming very numerous. They actually outnumbered the ISA modems at the
>> > show. Is anybody working on writing a Linux driver for these modems? If
>> > not I may want to give it a shot. Given PCI's solving of the IRQ limitation
>> > (as well as probably the 4 COM port limit) on the PC I could definately put
>> > these PCI modems to good use, besides I will need it if Intel is successful
>> > in killing ISA (and the COM ports) this year. On another note somebody told
>> > me that all PCI modems were WinModems. Does anybody know if this is true?
>> > I doubt it, but the possibility is there.
>> >
>> > - A. Barbachan
>> >

> Writing a driver for WinModems can be an interesting exercise in itself.

Especially since such thing can not be done reliable in "standard Linux".
Only in RT-Linux :-((

> This would require (probably) some mathematics and some knowledge of how
> to do dsp processing.

Plus you'll need to do a lot of reverse ingeneering :-))

> The question is whether the corresponding literature is available.

Literature about dsp processing and mathematics are widely available. But not
specs for WinModems: it's trade secrets...

> I don't have any of these cards but would be glad to help once the
> development begins. I think getting a used one should not be too
> expensive.

I'm doubt. Writing driver itself should not be big problem but all this reverse
ingeneering stuff :-(( I'm doubt. Plus it's not legal in some contries...

P.S. Linux was done with VERY right timing. Now OSS (mainly Linux for now)
world is big (I hope) enough to keep standard modems and printers alive. Not
mainstream but alive.