Re: 2.0.35 NFS directory perms bug

Razathorn (fileland@sound.net)
Sat, 24 Oct 1998 12:11:43 -0500

That was what I thought at first too.. but my ls was not working on it and
I have always thought that not having x disallowed r for some reason. It
was very confusing... The problem is that my ls on this machine is aliased
to ls -F

My fault.. sorry about that. I tried to look into every corner of this to
see if my setup was doing this.. but as you can see I missed it =)

Wayne

On Sat, Oct 24, 1998 at 12:10:20PM +0200, Olaf Titz wrote:
> > A dir of mode 664 (drw-rw-r--) can be 'listed' with shell file completion.
>
> It can be listed with "ls" too, on every filesystem. (Just tested on
> ext2.) Plain /bin/ls without any options will simply list it, while
> shell-builtin or -F or -l etc. will give a lot of complaints about
> permission denied when trying to stat() each file in the directory,
> which is disallowed because of the missing x flag.
>
> > user (it isn't a user to user security issue) but is a bug.
>
> It is no bug. Read permission on a directory means exactly that: being
> able to read the directory, which is listing the file names and inode
> numbers in it.
>
> olaf
>

> -

 [ Razathorn <fileland@sound.net>                                 ]
 [ PGP public key http://www.sound.net/~fileland/pubkey.shtml     ]
 [ Finger Print: B8 9B 4B F5 67 1C A3 86  2F 91 F2 81 08 08 79 49 ]