Re: ARMS WAVING!!! Proposal to fix /proc dainbrammage.

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Sat, 24 Oct 1998 12:17:18 -0400 (EDT)

Mark H. Wood writes:

> Oh, no! Here it comes again. Perhaps much more important than
> endianness or punctuation is once and for all settling the question
> of whether /proc is for humans or for programs. Because these two
> types of entities have different, often diametrically-opposed,
> formatting requirements.
>
> (My take on this question is that programs should not be looking
> in /proc at all; everything shown there should be available in
> binary form via syscall,

Oh yes! I really hate to parse /proc files. Parsing is not at all
reliable, considering unexpected format changes and spelling fixes.

It would be nice to cut down on the in-kernel data formatting too.