Re: NCR53C8XX patch for 2.1.125

Steven N. Hirsch (shirsch@adelphia.net)
Sat, 24 Oct 1998 09:16:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Gerard Roudier wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The attached patch is against linux-2.1.125. It contains several fixes
> and some diffs for Sparc (All this is detailed in ChangeLog.ncr53c8xx).
>
> If you could give this patch a try, especially on Alpha and Sparc, and
> report problems if any, this will help me a lot.

Gerard,

I have tried this and the previous patch on my problem Alpha with its
problem Maxtor SCSI disk. No luck. Eventually, I can always trigger the
endless command timeouts - even with the default queueing at 3 and queue
depth at 4 (per your suggestion). The only way to achieve reliable
operation is to boot with 'ncr53c8xx=tags:0' or to build the kernel with
the 2.5f driver (in which case queue depth of 8 works perfectly).

I'll grant that this is very frustrating, and very likely that it's a bug
in the Maxtor firmware. Nonetheless, I thank you for your continued
efforts!

If it's any help, the problem is far more likely to occur when the machine
is under heavy network load, e.g. building the kernel on an NFS-mounted
filesystem while I'm logged in from a remote X server.

Steve