Re: -j zImage (locales)

Mark H. Wood (mwood@IUPUI.Edu)
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 13:28:01 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Riley Williams wrote:

> Hi Michael.
>
> >> What about a numeric code to go with the error? Then we could just
> >> look up the error if we can;t read the laguage ...
>
> > May I suggest to include the symbolic name instead, if there is
> > one? You have too look up numbers first; a name like EINVAL is
> > easier to remember (we all know it, don't we?) and more portable
> > (numbers might change). If there is no symbolic name, the
> > translator can include the error code or the original text.
>
> Personally, I'd prefer to see both rather than just the error code,
> but then, that's not my decision...

%SYSTEM-I-REINVENTWHEEL, this has been done before.

Sounds like you just reinvented VMS message behavior. Each
error/warning/whatever message has four parts: facility, severity,
identification, and text. You can turn each one on or off
independently. The facility, severity, and identification parts are
common but the texts can be localized. I think you could even select
which localized texts your process gets regardless of what the system
default is, if you have multiple message catalogs.

Some things are not improved when made "graphical".  Imagine how crude
Kilmer's "Trees" would be if reduced to comic-book form.