Re: Cyrix Detection -- NO SMP, please ?????

David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 14:51:25 +0200 (MET DST)

> Yes, embedded systems are very powerfull sometimes, but still:
> 1. It's unclear how to use precompiled for i386 kernel on such MIPS0based
> system :-))
> 2. Most (if not all) i386-based embedded systems are not powerfull enough to
> use modern full-blown distribution with GNOME (KDE) based desktop...
> 3. Creators of embedded systems MUST be familiar with Linux enough to be able
> to recompile kernel. Users of RedHat in most cases are unaware of such
> process.
> 4. You'll not use standard distribution for embedded systems -- some
> components could be borowed (like GNOME for powerfull systems :-), but
> precompiled KERNEL from standard distribution ? You are joking...

Well, if this is simply a question of what kernel to include in
distributions, move this to some other discussion-group - that doesn't
belong here. If it's a question of whether or not to keep i386 kernel
support, say so. Else, I'd like to declare this discussion [off topic] and
as such remove it from this mailing-list. OK?

/David Weinehall