Re: Cyrix Detection -- NO SMP, please ?????

Gregory Maxwell (linker@z.ml.org)
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 14:45:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 18 Oct 1998, Khimenko Victor wrote:

> One exception with SMP could be Ok since this is really hard to make sure that
> all features works reliable with SMP. What about other features like MTRR ?
> Back to crap "a-la 1.2.13" ?

What is WRONG with you! Why do you insist on debating on subjects you DO
NOT KNOW about! MTRR works fine on ALL system! It's not a mutually
incompatible thing! I've got a 486/100 (vlb) with a PPRO optimized kernel
and MTRR turned on.. It doesn't do anything but it does work. I would not
expect a SMP kernel to work anymore then I'd expect a sparc kernel to
work.

> What about multicasting, forwarding, MTRR, IPv6 (when IPv6 will not be
> "experimental" anymore), framebuffer, etc ?

Again. WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

Framebuffer is exp on x86, IPV6 is too.. BUT BOTH CAN BE MODULARIZED.
Multicasting and Forwarding do NOTHING when they are not in use so there
is NO harm in turning them on in dist kernels (except the kernel is a bit
bigger)..

SMP is ENTIRELY differnt.

> RR> Not true, all features *essential* to installing the distro. must be
> RR> enabled. This means just access to the CDROM and hard disk (and maybe the
> RR> network).
>
> Network, ftp, NFS, smbfs, ncpfs, etc.

These are ALL MODULES. There is no problem with getting all this on one
disk.

> This was EXACTLY biggest problem with 1.2.13: more then 100 boot-images and
> system STILL only half-ready to use without kernel recompilation. That's why
> modules was introduced. "Select a proper non-conflicting image" approch does
> not work well -- it was proved YEARS ago. When few minor features could not
> ne activated via GUI tools without kernel-recompilation it's Ok. But when
> some widely used features could be activated only via kernel recompilation it's
> not acceptable...

NOTHING BUT SMP NEED A SEPERATE KERNEL! ABSOLUTLY NOTHING! EVERYTHING ELSE
CAN BE DONE WITH A STOCK KERNEL and MODULES! GET THIS THROUGH YOUR SKULL.
THERE WILL BE ONLY TWO KERNELS FOR x86! ONLY 2!

> No, no and no. It's KERNEL issue. Since our 100+ options could potentially
> produce more then 1'000'000'000'000'000'000'000'000'000'000 different images
> you could not put all this images on CD -- you simple could not find enough
> CD's in the whole world :-) Remember RedHat 3.0.3 or Slackware 2.2 ?

Please please please.. go away! No one wants to throw out modules..
Just seperate kernels for SMP.. just that.. <breaks down in tears>