Re: Show stoppers

Ion Badulescu (ionut@moisil.cs.columbia.edu)
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 20:05:16 -0400

On 15 Oct 1998 21:05:22 +0200, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox) writes:
>>
>> The second approach is to generate module requests when you open a minor
>> device from soundcore and sound. I accept patches for these, or for any
>> even more inventive approaches
>>
> I'm in favor of this approach. Most often, my sound needs consist of amp
> or realaudio output. You don't need all the synth and wavetable and midi
> stuff for these...

Only one small problem -- which indeed concerns only those of us masochistic
enough to use more than one sound card. :-) With the current aproach to
device registration it's possible to end up with dsp2, mixer1 and midi0
belonging to the same driver, if previously loaded drivers don't all support
mixer and midi devices. Also, even if kmod generates a request for dsp1,
you really need to load the driver for dsp0 first, otherwise what you wanted
on dsp1 will use dsp0 instead..

In short, it's a can of worms which can safely wait for 2.3.

Ion

--
  It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
            than to open it and remove all doubt.