Re: How to invoke burst-read on PCI mapped memory area

MOLNAR Ingo (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 00:16:46 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, Hiroshi Kawashima wrote:

> But from my understanding, Linux (at least v2.0.X) does not have such
> feature (vremap() with cache attribute control).

you can do it under 2.0 too, just check out the code in
drivers/char/mem.c:

/*
* hmm.. This disables high-memory caching, as the XFree86 team
* wondered about that at one time.
* The surround logic should disable caching for the high device
* addresses anyway, but right now this seems still needed.
*/
if (x86 > 3 && vma->vm_offset >= high_memory)
pgprot_val(vma->vm_page_prot) |= _PAGE_PCD;

2.1 has more explicit (and platform-independent) support for this.

-- mingo