Re: [OT] Linux's growing pains

Alexander Indenbaum (baum@actcom.co.il)
Thu, 1 Oct 1998 00:06:08 +0200 (EET)

Hi!

You are looking for solution that allready exists.
Please look in direction of FreeBSD projects ( as well as other *BSD )

Solution:

- One central CVS tree, with mirrors around the world.
- Team of "core" members around the world ( with Linus as a chairman )
with write access to central CVS tree. This team decides what "official"
Linux is. From other hand this team gets patches from "mortals" and add
it to "official" Linux if it is "good"
- All others have read-only access to CVS tree - so they could syncronize
via Internet their local Linux source tree with "stable" or
"development" Linux kernel branches. This also provides easy way to
document what has been done and easy to convert diff descriptions to
HTML or other formats.

This model works fine for *BSD providing very stable OS. And they
maintain this way not only kernel but whole distribution.

This model is also used for growing number of other "opne source" projects
like Mozilla.

So what do you say?

Alexander Indenbaum
baum@actcom.co.il

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998 teamwork@freemail.c3.hu wrote:

> The finger-pointing between Linus and the vger people illustrates a growing pain
> of Linux.
>
> Linus himself freely admits that Linux has grown so large, it is impossible for
> him to handle all patch request by himself anymore, and the vger arrangement
> obviously ain't working that well either.
>
> It is unfair to unload all the Linux burden on Mr. Torvalds alone.
>
> He has a life too, y'know?
>
> Plus, recently publicity Linux has gotten will only increase the demand for
> Linux. All that may mean is an even more rapid growth pattern for Linux, and
> consequently, the burden will get heavier and heavier.
>
> Frankly I do not forsee any single human being able to handle that kind of heavy
> load all by himself. And considering that Mr. Torvalds is already overwhelmed as
> he is, can we really expect him to continue provide reasonable responses to the
> demands of the rapidly growing Linux community?
>
> Now that the problem has been identified, what should we do about it?
>
> Any suggestion?
>
> Respectfully,
> Pete
> teamwork@freemail.c3.hu
>
> PS. My sincere apology if this is not the forum for such discussion, but
> something must be done or Linux's growth will be severely hampered by the
> aforementioned bottleneck.
>
> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line"unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

Alexander Indenbaum
baum@actcom.co.il