Re: [OT] Linux's growing pains

Andrej Presern (andrejp@luz.fe.uni-lj.si)
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 14:01:21 +0200

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, teamwork@freemail.c3.hu wrote:
>The finger-pointing between Linus and the vger people illustrates a growing pain
>of Linux.

Linux is growing and developing. There is no pain only joy.
Ask Bluescreensoft about growing pain.

>Linus himself freely admits that Linux has grown so large, it is impossible for
>him to handle all patch request by himself anymore, and the vger arrangement
>obviously ain't working that well either.
>
>It is unfair to unload all the Linux burden on Mr. Torvalds alone.

We know. We don't unload all the Linux burden on Linus. We help.

> He has a life too, y'know?

We know. We respect it.

>Plus, recently publicity Linux has gotten will only increase the demand for
>Linux. All that may mean is an even more rapid growth pattern for Linux, and

It does mean that.

>consequently, the burden will get heavier and heavier.

See above about help.

>Frankly I do not forsee any single human being able to handle that kind of heavy
>load all by himself. And considering that Mr. Torvalds is already overwhelmed as

Neither do we, see above about help.

>he is, can we really expect him to continue provide reasonable responses to the
>demands of the rapidly growing Linux community?

Yes.

>Now that the problem has been identified, what should we do about it?

The problem has been solved. The solution is: we help.

>Any suggestion?

Go play your games somewhere else.

>Respectfully,
>Pete
>teamwork@freemail.c3.hu

Hello Anonymous.

>PS. My sincere apology if this is not the forum for such discussion, but
>something must be done or Linux's growth will be severely hampered by the
>aforementioned bottleneck.

Don't play dumb. This is kernel development list, not psychological warfare.
You know that at least from the moment you subscribed. If you want to help, you
will stop playing this game now. If you don't, you will be ignored.

Andrej

--
Andrej Presern, andrejp@luz.fe.uni-lj.si