Re: Scheduling Times --- Revisited

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 09:02:28 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, David Luyer wrote:

> Of course making CD burning and console games run with a priority and
> performance unaffected by other jobs which might come up while they are
> running is a much more ideal situation.

My latest scheduling patch (the one vs. 2.1.123) has
the property of completely blowing away I/O bound
niced processes (updatedb and friends).

You might want to try it and tell me if you like it's
agressiveness. Right now I'm running a niced updatedb
and I find that the intensity of disk I/O is now about
one quarter of less of what it used to be...

Maybe you all find it too agressive, but that can be
fixed.

Rik.