Re: 2.1.123 and fbcon.c

David S. Miller (davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com)
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 03:01:22 -0700

Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 11:10:11 +0200 (MEST)
From: R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl (Rogier Wolff)

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Note that if some person cannot be bothered to re-submit, I don't WANT the
> patch. Anybody who is not willing to take that much care of his patches
> that he can't maintain it while I haven't accepted it, I don't want to
> accept patches from anyway.

Linus, the problem is that when I submit a patch, I don't want to
unneccesarily overload you by resubmitting on too short a notice.

So I wait, and wait. Nothing happens.

People are ignoring the fact that we had solved this problem (at least
in my mind) completely with jitterbug.

And the current problem is that jitterbug was turned off for
code-freeze, and now we're back to square one with the infamous "black
hole" when things get overloaded. There is no queue which is visible
to the masses, and more importantly, the person doing the submission.

There is no communication, so you don't know if it was lost or
something else happened.

This came up months ago, we implemented a fix, now the fix has been
turned off. I know why jitterbug was turned off and I sort of agree
with the reasoning behind that decision, but I still think the other
ramifications smell bad.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com