Re: 2.1.123 and fbcon.c

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 11:10:11 +0200 (MEST)

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> >
> > Yet I had to resubmit the patch and the explanation at least
> > *THREE* times, over the course of 2-3 weeks, before I finally got a
> > response out of you. And this was for a utterly uncontroversial patch!
>
> Note that if some person cannot be bothered to re-submit, I don't WANT the
> patch. Anybody who is not willing to take that much care of his patches
> that he can't maintain it while I haven't accepted it, I don't want to
> accept patches from anyway.

Linus, the problem is that when I submit a patch, I don't want to
unneccesarily overload you by resubmitting on too short a notice.

So I wait, and wait. Nothing happens.

If you publish a Linus-manual and tell us after what time we should
resubmit, things should be a lot more workable.

I care about the workload that you have to go under. I personally
think if it would get better for you if you'd bounce "bad" patches
with a oneliner explanation. (e.g. stuff like "Code freeze", "wrong
way to fix this", or "no time, resubmit in a week")

The way things work right now (almost never any feedback) you'll get
the same bad paches to look at over and over again, especially now
you've begged maintainers to be persistent in sending you patches.

I KNOW that i'd bother the hell out of you by re-sending a patch every
day. Sending it every month makes Linux-development too slow. Do you
want it every week?

I'm willing to take as much workload off you as possible, but you do
have to be clear in how you want us to do that.

Roger.

--
| Most people would die sooner than think....  |    R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl
| in fact, most do.  -- Bertrand Russsell      |     phone: +31-15-2137555
We write Linux device drivers for any device you may have! fax: ..-2138217