Re: Building Big Ass Linux Machine, what are the limits?

Joel Jaeggli (joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu)
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 21:49:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, Erik Corry wrote:

> So you need an NX chipset in order to run into serious
> problems with Linux. You also need a newish P-II that can
> cache over 512MB. The NX chipset doesn't support SDRAM,
> AGP, or Power management.

450nx does however support up to 4 32bit pci busses or two 32bit and one
64 bit pci buses, which would give you way higher fanout than any bx
board. With hot plug pci cards like compaq is building you ought to be
able to do some serious disk controller and nic redundancy. I'm not sure
what I'd do with 20 slot bus, but I've been needing more than 5 pci slots
for some time...

joelja

Joel Jaeggli joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
Academic User Services consult@gladstone.uoregon.edu
PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E