Re: utility for testing ram?

Gregory Maxwell (linker@z.ml.org)
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 19:40:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, Jeff Noxon wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 28, 1998 at 04:25:28PM -0400, Ricardo Kleemann wrote:
> > Anyone know of a utility to extensively test a system's ram, in order to
> > determine whether the ram has any faults?
>
> There are numerous programs that do that, but none of them really work.
> The only way to know for sure is to use a hardware memory tester. Any
> store that sells a lot of RAM will have one, and they may test your memory
> for you (if it may result in a sale)...
>
> Debian has at least two relatively useless tools. One is memtest86 in
> hwtools, and the other is memtest in sysutils. Both failed to detect
> marginal memory in my system. I've had similar problems with DOS-based
> diagnostic programs.

Hmm.. I've had memory that passes hardware testers but fails in memtest if
you leave it run several days (yes, this is apples to apples, the memory
tester was left in an extensive test loop).. Though I guess this was some
rare situation with a conflict between the MB and the RAM (though the new
ram fixed it fine)..

Memtest overnight is a helluva lot better then any of the other software
checks, and it costs alot less then $1000..

It detects obvious errors very fast and finds most subtle errors if given
enough time.

Furthermore, it gives the system cache etc a work out too..