Re: Open letter to the UDI folks?

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
28 Sep 1998 15:36:06 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.3.96.980927202706.22361C-100000@z.ml.org>,
Gregory Maxwell <linker@z.ml.org> wrote:

>This is actually funny..
>
>On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Bob Young wrote:
>
>> Eric, Hold off objecting to Intel's UDI initiative until you've had
>> a chance to talk to Linus about it. Linus has been talking to Intel
>> about it and while not wildly enthusiastic, he does admit that if Intel
>> is able to get UDI widely deployed, then it could be a bad thing for
>> Linux if Linux did not support it.
>
>We should support it because it is a threat?!?

Yes. If Linux doesn't support it, it's a threat to Linux,
because we'll be the odd man out for vendors who want to
write their own drivers and want to write as few of them
as possible.

If Linux does support it, it's a threat to all the non-Unix
systems out there.

____
david parsons \bi/ "Choose wisely, grasshopper"
\/