Re: utility for testing ram?

Jeff Noxon (jeff@planetfall.com)
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 16:24:51 -0500

On Mon, Sep 28, 1998 at 04:25:28PM -0400, Ricardo Kleemann wrote:
> Anyone know of a utility to extensively test a system's ram, in order to
> determine whether the ram has any faults?

There are numerous programs that do that, but none of them really work.
The only way to know for sure is to use a hardware memory tester. Any
store that sells a lot of RAM will have one, and they may test your memory
for you (if it may result in a sale)...

Debian has at least two relatively useless tools. One is memtest86 in
hwtools, and the other is memtest in sysutils. Both failed to detect
marginal memory in my system. I've had similar problems with DOS-based
diagnostic programs.

Good luck,

Jeff