Re: Building Big Ass Linux Machine, what are the limits?

Neil Conway (nconway.list@ukaea.org.uk)
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 16:15:04 +0000

Chris Zwilling wrote:

> On 28 Sep 1998 ketil@ii.uib.no wrote:
>
> > PPro, while a good CPU is getting old, the Quad board costs $1000, and
> > the PII is probably cheaper. You should be able to put together a dual
> > PII at 350MHz for the price of the Quad board alone, it will be as fast,
> > and have higher memory bandwidth etc for free.
> >

> The Pro is getting old, but current benchmaks show that MHz for MHz
> running 32bit code (eg: Linux) it WILL smoke the PII (same MHz). Also,
> the PII can not be scaled past two processors.

Not with my codes - don't rely on this assumption. With our
floating-point codes the PII does roughly 10% better per MHz than the
PPro. Also, the PII-Xeon can of course handle lots of CPU's, and the
cost probably won't be an issue for a "Big-Ass" machine :-)

Neil