Re: amdk6-2, MVP3 and linux

Craig I. Hagan (hagan@cih.com)
28 Sep 1998 11:49:03 -0400

Koos Vriezen <koos@polder.ubc.kun.nl> writes:

> Hi,
>
> It look that my board is also stable at 66 MHz and CPU at 266 MHz. But I
> paid for a 100 MHz board and an AMD K6 300 MHz.
> That you have the same result as I can mean that these board aren't
> reliable enough.

which motherboard do you have?

I've an AMD k6-2 333 (95mhz bus,3.5x), it works like a charm,
however if i over-clock it, then i've found that the
systems gets a little flaky. apparantly one of my
HD's (the boot/windows one) can't cope with a 112+mhz system
bus, and the cpu faults in windows at 350mhz (100x3.5) whereas
linux behaves fine with the exception of
compiling certain things. I've noticed that which compiler
i use (gcc 2.7.x, egcs, pgcc, and gcc 2.8) can alter
the behavior -- different fault and/or behavior. In
any event, building the kernel is usually out at >std speed
for my cpu, oh well.

for reference: my motherboard is the FIC VA-503+ (VIA MVP3, 1mb cache)
userspace is redhat 5.1, kernel is 2.0.35 and 2.1.120.
for reference, i have SIMM memory which may
be the root of the problem for overclocking.

-- craig

Craig I. Hagan "It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to back it up"
hagan(at)cih.com "True hackers don't die, their ttl expires"
"It takes a village to raise an idiot, but an idiot can raze a village"

Stop the spread of spam, use a sendmail condom!
http://www.cih.com/~hagan/smtpd-hacks

In Bandwidth we trust