Re: sound network driver

Nathan Hand (nathanh@chirp.com.au)
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 11:50:20 +1000 (EST)

On Sun, 27 Sep 1998, Thomas Sailer wrote:

> Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> >
> > Sound modem, but I dont think you can have two in the computer at once.
>
> Why? At one time I had two of them running at the same time.
> With ISA soundcards however, you tend to run out of DMA channels
> rather soon :-)

I have both an SB-PRO and GUS-Classic in this box (/dev/dsp defaults
to the GUS, /dev/dsp1 to the SB), and I have run out of DMA channels
already :-) There's a minor conflict at port 0x388, but the SB seems
to "win" and take priority.

Linux certainly has no trouble in this respect. I'd be interested to
see how PCI sound cards fare.