Re: Flames and flaming.

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 11:37:25 +1000

Gregory Maxwell writes:

> LM is a know it all.. Sometime's he's VERY annoying.. But unfortuantly
> he's usually VERY right. I've argued with him. He was right. I wish he
> wasn't because he attitude is tough.
>
> I'm not sure who else your refering to (perhaps David Miller who can also
> have those qualities). Mr. Johnson has been guilty of the same sort of
> things..
>
> I feel it is approiate for their comments. LM is actually, being
> preety well behaved in this situation and has made two very
> reasonable requests: Provide a solid explanation of his results
> (i.e. turn off cache and show that the varience goes away) and/or
> make some changes and show a REAL application that it helps.

Are you perhaps mixing up two different threads? The only recent
thread which talked about cache issues was the one about scheduling
times that I've been involved in, IIRC.

> Perhaps the price of being right so much is that you sound too
> sure. :)

I'm not sure what Ed was complaining about (I haven't tracked the
thread in question), but on a general note, being right (about a
technical issue) never has been and never will be a license to be
rude, abusive, impolite or aggressive.

There are basic standards of decent behaviour that should be observed,
no matter how much you disagree with someones technical point of
view. The kernel list is a place where a number of high profile people
don't observe these basic standards. This may be because they feel
they can get away with it. In Real Life they might get a punch in the
nose.

Regards,

Richard....