Re: Open letter to the UDI folks?

Gregory Maxwell (linker@z.ml.org)
Sun, 27 Sep 1998 20:34:38 -0400 (EDT)

This is actually funny..

On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Bob Young wrote:

> Eric, Hold off objecting to Intel's UDI initiative until you've had
> a chance to talk to Linus about it. Linus has been talking to Intel
> about it and while not wildly enthusiastic, he does admit that if Intel
> is able to get UDI widely deployed, then it could be a bad thing for
> Linux if Linux did not support it.

We should support it because it is a threat?!?

Your argument for it validates all the arguments against it!

People say it's bad because it encourages binary drivers. You say that
Linus admits that if it becomes widely deployed then it will be bad for
us, presumably because it would cause more binary drivers.

Frankly, I believe that Linux is big enough that we can make it
not an issue. What does RedHat think of Linux's market share VS all non-MS OS
vendors. It seems to me that as far as hardware vendors are concerned
(i.e. legacy systems don't count much, as new hardware isn't bought for
them) Linux has a market share bigger then all others (except MS)
combined.

> For a variety of logical reasons Linus simply does not
> see UDI as the threat that some of the mailing-list discussions have
> made it out to be. I'll let him explain those arguments to you.
>
> Cheers, Bob.

I don't see how it could be bad if we don't if it's not bad if we do.

Respectfully yours,
Gregory Maxwell