Re: UDI, SCO, Intel, MS and Linux

Jens Benecke (jens@mail.conetix.de)
Sat, 26 Sep 1998 11:57:23 +0200

Am Sat, 19 Sep 1998 schrieb jamal:
>My 0.02 cents:

and mine ...

>I believe the days of Linux being marginalized are over. These
>folks need us more than we need them. So arguements that "i'd rather have
>a driver than have none at all" are meaningless.
>We have enough mass to be taken seriously. With everyone else

100% agreement. The critical mass has long ago been reached, at least in the
server market. The desktop market has yet to be taken ... :)

>concern. The PC-DOS fiasco would be happening again with binary
>drivers, unless:
>- the consortium allows for the source code to be
>inspected and agreed to by members of the Linux community prior to

Who's 'the Linux community'?
What do you have to do (or be) to belong in it? Qualifications? Tests? Grades?

>If they want our support, i suggest they should be forced to go by our
>terms.

err ... no-one, absolutely no-one can prevent SCO from making their own Linux
distribution with commercial support and drivers and selling it. It's all in
the GPL, everyone can do what he wants as long as he doesn't forbid anyone else
anything.

For what it matters, no one would have a chance of forbidding Microsoft to make
their own Linux distribution, port the Explorer and market it as NT 5.0.

That, at least, is how _I_ understand the GPL. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

--
ciao, Jens			http://www.pinguin.conetix.de

* Das Verhalten von Gates hatte mir bewiesen, dass ich auf ihn und seine Gefhrten nicht zhlen brauchte. -- Karl May, Winnetou, Band 3netou, Band