Re: Building Big Ass Linux Machine, what are the limits?

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 23:31:43 +0400 (MSD)

24-Sep-98 22:48 you wrote:
> Hello all,

> I need to build a big machine to replace a
> Compaq Proliant running SCO OpenServer.

> The system needs to run several Progress databases (12gb and growing)
> and I am
> looking for maximum disk throughput for about 150 users accessing via
> Telnet.

> Some are telling me that I should be looking at big hardware, such
> as HP9000, SGI or Sun. The type of equipment that would cost upwards of
> $100k.

> I want to try it with Linux.

> Here are my preferences:

> - Intel 450 Single or Dual, the application is really NOT cpu bound.
> I need Intel because until Progress releases a Linux version
> I will be using the SCO version with iBCS. And, as a safety net,
> if Linux isn't stable in this setup, I can put SCO on it
> (I really don't want to do that).

Single in Dual MB for now will be better choice due 2.0.xx limitations but
will allow you to grow in the future with 2.2 ...

> - 512mb ram. Can I go bigger?, whats the max?

Linux has support up to 512Mb "out of box" but with few changes in kernel and
recompilation Linux could handle up to 2Gb.

> Current system has 512mb and is only using about 300mb of it.

In this case you need only "small" swap file/partition. 128Mb or such (Linux
2.1.1xx and so 2.2 will be unstable without swap at all).

> - 4 Adaptec 2940UW Host adaptors with 4-4gb Ultra wide disks on each.
> 16 drives total. Isn't there a limit on number of scsi disks?

Yes. Up to 15 disks per host adapter. There are also limit for 16 disks total
in Linux kernel but this could be increased with appropriate patch.

> If there is a limit, I could change it to a total of 8 9gb drives.
> Progress has it's own Multi-volume support and can utilize as many
> drives as I can give it.

What about disk failures ? RAID5 is only in 2.1 kernel series...

> I figure: more spindles + more heads = better disk performance.

> Is Linux ready for the Enterprise Server market?

Not exactly. It's stable enough but there are not enough pattern of support
around Linux for Enterprise Server market. But if you could reach VA Research
then peoples there could help you build and tune Big Ass Linux Machine...
Both in hardware and software aspects :-))

> Will I run into a maximum on the number of processes that can run?

4096 or something ? This could be problem. This is increased in 2.2 AFAIK...

> I have about 45-60 days to do this, Should I be waiting for the 2.2
> Kernel
> or do you think the latest 2.0.xx kernel can handle it?

This is near to limits of 2.0.xx but since it's not known when 2.2 will be
ready to "Real Usage" (you'll not plan to use 2.2.0 for Enterprise Server of
course :-) it's better to plan use 2.0.xx for now and switch to 2.2 when it
will be more rigorously tested...