Re: IDE-UDMA error

Erik Corry (erik@arbat.com)
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 22:28:35 +0200

In article <19980924132058.2F71BBC946@mail.cs.uu.nl> you wrote:

> > HWN> hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
> > Too long EIDE cable?
> > I doubt it. Except for the errormessage, the system is rock solid.

> That sounds right for an overlong IDE cable in UDMA mode

> I checked with my vendor (that sells plenty UDMA systems), and he
> maintains that all IDE cables they have and use are 45 cm long (which
> is the length of mine too.)

According to the Linux Multi-Disk HOWTO many motherboards
connect the data lines of both channels together.
You are using both channels, so the 45cm limit could be
total for both channels. There are other tips there,
it's worth reading.

--
Erik Corry erik@arbat.com           Ceterum censeo, Microsoftem esse delendam!