Re: nfs_lookup_revalidate: %s fh changed

Bill Hawes (whawes@transmeta.com)
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 14:26:29 -0700

Olaf Titz wrote:

> > You're correct that the messages are for debugging, but I'm curious as to why
> > you're getting so many. Which server are you using?
>
> knfsd from 2.1.122, with both patches from the 980915 tools, and said
> toolset.

OK, some number of these would be expected with knfsd, especially if the server is
heavily loaded. The filehandle used by knfsd includes the dentry pointer, which
allows a fast lookup if the dentry is still in memory. But if the dentry has been
released, knfsd will do a fresh lookup and return a filehandle using the new
dentry pointer. So whether a new filehandle is returned depends on the average
dentry lifetime on the server.

Both client and server operate correctly in either case.

Regards,
Bill