Re: Please try knfsd 980922

Steffen Rheinhold (srh@cc86.org)
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 17:58:43 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, H.J. Lu wrote:

> Well, it works fine for me wth Linux client. If you can
> find out why, I will take a look at kernel.
>
> Is pwd is a builtin or a normal command. You can get
> the source to see why it does it.

I'm not sure whether I will take more time for this, for the IRIX machine
is to be substituted by the linux server... Nevertheless I have tested the
lockd stuff:

Catia reads and writes files (tested up to 30MB of filesize) without
causing any errors. This looks good, compared to earlier tests. Catia
heavily depends on lockd. The problem now is a veerrry poor write
performance, I did some speed-tests:

Read a 30MB file from server to AIX 4.3 workstation:

>From linux-2.1.122: about 45 sec
>From IRIX 5.3: about 45-50 sec

Both with a stopwatch, good enough if you look at the next results:

Write a 30MB file from AIX to server, includes 30sec of data preparation
(no network traffic) by Catia:

To linux-2.1.122: about 585 sec
To IRIX 5.3: about 90 sec

2. Test: copy 30MB from IRIX client to linux server and back:

cp cptest.txt /achilles/catv4 : Write to linux = 385 sec
cp /achilles/catv4/cptest.txt . : Read from linux = 42 sec

Network is 10MBit Ethernet TP, low traffic.
Linux is a P100 64MB, 3C509 PnP, AHA 1542C, 2GB IBM SCSI
IRIX is a R3000 33MHz, 48MB, 2GB IBM SCSI
AIX is a 42P (140MHz) 192MB RAM

The machines were all restricted to nfsv2 and udp and 8192 buffersizes.

cu,

Steffen Rheinhold

srh@cc86.org