Re: how to deal with hosts that are down

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 22:49:32 +1000

Brandon S. Allbery writes:
> In message <5ld88n26rr.fsf@tequila.systemsz.cs.yale.edu>, Stefan Monnier
> writes
> :
> +-----
> | resolv for instance cycles through its listed servers, so if your first
> | server is down, it will switch to the next after a time out. *But* this
> | time out will be suffered for all applications over and over.
> +--->8
>
> Sun beat you to it; it's called nscd. I understand there's a version for
> Linux; I just hope it works better than Sun's version (which in 2.5.1 at
> least is seriously braindamaged[1]).
>
> The basic idea is that nscd is a minimal caching nameserver for all
> directory services (on Suns, this means it does DNS, YP/NIS, and NIS+).
> Because it does the lookups instead of each program doing so itself, it can
> remember state about e.g. nameservers being down.

What's the point of nscd if you can just use named configured as a
caching server? Works like a charm.

> [2] Someone explain to me why Sun needed to invent yet another kind
> of IPC, as if sockets, message queues, and two kinds of shared
> memory aren't enough?

Three (don't forget mmap:-).
And as for IPC, don't forget pipes, sockets and FIFOs...

Regards,

Richard....