Re: Can an NFS server legitimately duplicate directory entry cookies?

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 08:54:39 -0400

Chris Siebenmann wrote:

> It appears that a SGI NFS server (Irix 6.2) can sometimes return the
> same directory cookie for two successive entries in the directory
> (if I am tracing the code right, the cookie is stuffed in the dirent
> structure's d_off member by the kernel's getdents(); otherwise, my test
> program is printing something else). This appears to sometimes cause the
> getdents() syscall to enter a state where it always returns the same entry.
>
> Is this legitimate behavior of the SGI NFS server implementation, and
> thus a problem with the Linux NFS client nfs_readdir(), or is this an
> SGI bug that I should club them about?

My understanding was that the cookies would be unique, as the NFS client
code looks for a matching cookie value to find its way in the directory
cache. So I would say to report this to SGI as a bug and see what they
say.

Regards,
Bill