Re: 2.1.120 - too many errors on the network interfaces

Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 16:48:45 +1000

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998 12:23:57 +1200,
Chris Wedgwood <chris@cybernet.co.nz> wrote:
>[parsing proc]
>
>We need to check item by item that what we are parsing is what we
>expect and try to adapt to it, with out without version numbers.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - /proc is only half the
problem. Robust parsers are all very well but what about ioctl()
queries? No parsing is possible, it has to be some form of versioning
in the ioctl() response. Parsers should still be robust, but that does
not fix the whole problem.