Re: Linux, UDI and SCO.

Camm Maguire (linkern@cocoa.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 20 Sep 1998 16:14:15 +0100 (GMT)

On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, Alex Buell wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>
> > The point was that manufactures will only release UDI for x86 (or merced
> > or whatever) even if it only requires a recompile.. Unless UDI drivers
> > must be written in forth..
>
> We must persuade the UDI boys to make it architecture independent, and
> must also allow the sources to be open. Only then will I vote for it.

According to the specs available from www.sco.com/udi, there is no
mention whatsoever of this being anything to do with x86/IA32/IA64. The
current .80 docs are dated 6 July 98, which of course pre-dates the Intel
announcement.

I heartily encourage interested parties to fetch these documents swiftly,
so that discussion can continue with full possession of the facts, rather
than speculation, ifs, buts, maybes and paranoia. :)

> Cheers,
> Alex
> http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk - *new* - rewritten for text browser users!

Best Regards,