Re: pre-2.1.123-1

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
21 Sep 1998 07:13:10 GMT

In article <36047CB0.3037E543@isn.net>, Garst R. Reese <reese@isn.net> wrote:
>On startx I get this:
>xinit: Not a directory (error 20) no program named
>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc in PATH
>Looks like the new symlink stuff.

I'd need a complete strace of this for it to be useful. Something like

root# strace -o xtrace -f startx

and then if you could search for the ENOTDIR and send me the output
immediately around that I'd be happy.

Oh, and tell me all the symlinks in question for whatever filename that
causes it.. strace won't show it, but that's crucial.

(2.1.123-1 is much more strict wrt symlinks. The strictness should be
correct, and it may be that you just had a broken setup that happened to
work before. But I want to see what it says)

Thanks,

Linus