Re: Sound & DMA

Jeremy Katz (katzj@technojunkie.com)
Sun, 20 Sep 1998 16:46:19 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> I've added spinlocking for the DMA controller. Please will folks with the
> problem VIA (and other boards) try this. My belief is that it won't make
> a blind bit of difference in the VIA case. Certainly the floppy driver
> appears to be doing things pretty close to right. The only obviously wrong
> DMA handling I found was in my z85230 driver.>

Okay, if I'm reading what you say correctly (and interpreting the patch
itself), this patch should end the problem where playing sound and writing
to a floppy at the same time causes a hard freeze. Unfortunately, I just
downloaded, patched, recompiled, rebooted and was still able to freeze the
machine writing to the floppy and playing sound. So, either, this patch
shouldn't fix that and I'm completely off base, or it didn't solve the
problem.

I'm running a P200 MMX with an on motherboard Vibra16. More information
can be furnished if needed.

Jeremy