Re: UDI and Politics (was Re: Linux, UDI and SCO.)

Gregory Maxwell (linker@z.ml.org)
Sun, 20 Sep 1998 12:11:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, Erik Corry wrote:

[snip]
> I think you are wrong. UDI is intended to allow user-space
> drivers if the kernel UDI implementation allows it.
> This means a driver is basically an application on the OS,
> using an OS API. This is a similar situation to the GPLled
> ethernet drivers that BeOS AFAIK still uses.

Doing this is NOT okay. Donald Becker worked it out with them. They have
compensated him and are switching to a BSD licenced driver.

> I'm not sure what this means. I am also not sure whether
> any of the big commercial OSs will have support for user-
> space UDI drivers and how much the legal situation changes
> if the driver is run in kernel space instead of user space.

If I perform a stupid trick to abuse GPL code, I'm still abusing GPLed
code. It's upto the author to decide if it's a real violation or not..

Microsoft: "Yes, we not do use the Linux kernel in NT, but we dont have to
release our modifications because we didn't actually modify it: Our boot
loader patches the binary while it's being loaded into memory, other then
that.. It's the same one that comes with RedHat 6.0, you can get the
source from ftp://ftp.redhat.com/..."..