Re: 2.1.120 - too many errors on the network interfaces

Alex Buell (alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 20 Sep 1998 10:11:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

> Dunno about ioctl (I've seen lots of schemes proposed and used, and
> all of them fall short), but it does seem silly that proc doesn't
> include version numbers. Would it really be that painful to have the
> first line of a /proc file be an interface version number? Old
> utilities that don't know about it would have to be replaced, but
> right now that ends up being true anyway and with no warning other
> than a paragraph buried in some text file. Worse, if you have to
> dual-boot between kernels with incompatible /proc file formats, you
> can't easily deal with both from a single utility: but with version
> numbers, a utility could invoke code conditionally on the version
> number or even run a backend selected by version number
> (/usr/lib/backend.d/ifconfig/X. Y, anyone?).

I have had some problems parsing /proc/cpuinfos on different
architectures. I hope you have seen my message about it earlier today.

Cheers,
Alex

--
 /\_/\  Legalise cannabis now!
( o.o ) Grow some cannabis today!
 > ^ <  Peace, Love, Unity and Respect to all.

http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk - *new* - rewritten for text browser users!

Linux tahallah 2.1.122 #43 Sat Sep 19 10:54:36 EDT 1998 One AMD 486 DX/4 processor, 49.77 total bogomips, 32M RAM