Re: Implementing Meta File information in Linux

Marc Lehmann (pcg@goof.com)
Sun, 20 Sep 1998 14:14:06 +0200

On Fri, Sep 18, 1998 at 10:23:02AM +1200, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 17, 1998 at 12:32:16PM +0200, Marc Lehmann wrote:
>
> > Any scheme for resource forks has to solve the per-user problem
> > (no, keying resources by uid doesn't work, as users might change
> > uid, might have different uids per machine, and also you would need
> > to have write access to the resource fork somehow).
> >
> > (this has, I think, already been mentioned on this list but was
> > constantly ignored)
>
> Locale, timezone and other information should be per-process/thread,
> preferably defined by a environment variable - because this is a
> userspace issue.

Have you read my mail? You CAN'T put editor cursor positions or icon data
into environment variables. And no, editor positions and icons are NOT
per-process but per user. You have to differentiate between per process
settings and per-user settings. It doesn't make sense to make the password
"per-thread" or the username "per-thread" either.

That is why resource forks don't solve the problem people have (like
editor positions). If they want resource forks, they have to find a
_reason_ for them. If they want to save editor cursor positions,
rsource forks aren't the way to go.

And yes, it _is_ a userpsace problem people want to solve here.

The choice of a GNU generation |